Welcome to PiBang Linux
This is PiBang Linux. A Linux distribution for the Raspberry Pi. It is inspired by Crunchbang Linux, and based on Raspbian. Want to know all the differences? Here is a full list of what makes PiBang different from Raspbian.
PiBang Linux is committed to providing a highly configured Openbox desktop environment for the Raspberry Pi. We are also committed to contributing back to the Linux communtiy and working to actively develop the software included in the distribution.
What's new right now?
PiBang Linux is moving to SystemD. It is better and it is faster and we are moving. The first image for testing is in the SourceForge site. Please feel free to test it! We will be rolling out the following:
- 1) SystemD
- 2) Terminator will be replaced with LXTerminal
- 3) XCompmgr will be replaced with Compton
- 4) First spin of the updated raspi configuration utility.
Why should these matter?
- 1) SystemD is a faster boot, it is easy to learn, and it still supports initscripts
- 2) LXTerminal is faster but still offers the same expirience you expect.
- 3) Compton gives us better transparancey ( at a slight performance cost, please give us feedback on this change.)
- 4) We are accepting upstream changes to the configuration utilty.
Overall, I expect good things.
Furthermore I would love to see us push the envelope in what is possible both with the desktop release and the server release. I have seen so many magazine articles and websites with cool projects that are using Raspbian. I would love to see these projects move to PiBang!
PiBang was Semi-Stable
Pibang for the Raspberry Pi was at what we like to call semi-stable. We are very interested in pushing the envelope in fast, versatile, and useful. Right now, the download links still point to the stable version. If you want the unstable testing version they are always available directly from our SourceForge site.. We will probably make occasional uploads of initv-based images there.